Friday, May 7, 2010

Jeremiah 1:5

“Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”

Here we have to dig a little to get at this promise because this promise was made specifically to an individual. You have to understand that God is not a respecter of persons, so when He makes a promise to an individual there is a general principle that He promises to all. The general principle God is promising is that He formed you and knows you.

As a middle-aged kid my parents divorced, which resulted in my bouncing around schools from 6th – 12th grade. I specifically recall the worst experience during that time was when I finished the last 3 months of 8th grade at a new school. Under normal conditions this is a difficult age to develop new friendships, and being from a different state only compounded the difficulty. Growing up I always played team sports and during this 6-year period I used it as an opportunity to meet and establish friends. At this new school I showed up too late to join any teams.

For the first time in my life, I truly knew what it felt like to be lonely. I felt like no one knew who I was or cared to find out. Normally a social butterfly, I became the quiet nerd who sat in the classroom alone reading the textbook. I missed having people who knew what color I liked, what sports I could play, my middle name and without making fun of it, what I was thinking. I missed being known for who I was.

Have you ever felt alone; like no one really knows you? God does. In this verse He is promising that He knows you inside out, like any author knows the book they wrote. He is promising you that He made you, thereby obtaining perfect understanding of who you are. The next time you feel alone and like no one cares remember this promise.

4 comments:

  1. It is something I deal with daily. Thank you for that timely and very important lesson. :)

    Today, when I was driving home from work, I was thanking God for those who show me love, and I started to think about how there are so many people who don't even have one person to love on them. While I gave thanks, again, I also felt my heart break for those who have no one.

    (As a teacher, it pains me to see a kid come in mid-way through a year, especially senior year.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. rt: Sounds like we have much in common. I always wonder about those who have no one. I think this is why the "goth" kids (all black clothes) hang out together. When I see new kids come into school and struggle to make friends they always get drawn into this crowd. I think it is because misery loves company even if it is miserable.

    I am glad to hear you teach. I also teach hs (math).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of those kids (very dark metal in my day).

    Sad thing is the Goth kids are usually really smart and years beyond their peers, but no one knows it. They get treated poorly, because of the whole "I will be gloomy" phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. I have found that to be true also.

    What prompted you out of it?

    ReplyDelete