Friday, September 10, 2010

II Corrinthians 10:4

“For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds”

As discussed before, God gives us weapons and power to have the victory. There is still more in this promise though. God also is telling us which weapons to use and where. Carnal weapons are things that most humans can generally do. Things like, argue, scream, yell, retaliate, hit,, kick, conspire, speak evil of, slander, etc….


When it comes to our weapons, we are promised that they are not of any of these tools or methodologies. Instead we can “bless those who curse” us, “pray for those who despitefully use us”, be kind, tenderhearted, peaceful, gentle, longsuffering, etc….

The fact that our weapons are not carnal also lets us know that we are not battling with people. We are fighting against strongholds in our own lives or in the lives of others. These are spiritual battles, which serve as a reminder not to get too upset with the people used as a battlefield.

This reminds me a former student of mine. The Lord had been dealing with him and was using me to draw him closer. One day the student abruptly altered his behavior and became very contrary to me during class. His behavior was extremely out of character and noticeably distracting to the rest of the class. As our verbal exchange continued my frustration mounted until I simply sent him out of the room to the office.

That night I couldn’t help but think about what had happened. Over the weekend, the Lord showed what was really going on. The kid was not contrary to me, but the powers controlling his life were contrary to the things of God working in my life. Once the Lord opened my eyes up I was able to see where the battle was and what the root problem was. Through prayer, God gave me words to speak that have helped that young man grow closer to the Lord. In this promise, God is granting you the same privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment