Saturday, November 27, 2010

Psalms 5:11

 “But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.”


This promise reminds me of a childhood memory where I kind of did a good thing. Well, it wasn’t that good but I did start with good intentions. During the hot Arizona summers, my friends and I would play hide-&-go seek inside of the grocery stores. One particular day, my fun was interrupted by 3 bullies picking on a scrawny kid leaving the store.

The single boy being harassed tried to quietly and quickly go home. The three other boys followed him behind the store where they really began to torment him. Enclosed in a small area, isolated, with no friends, no adult protection, and with no apparent means of escape the boy began to cry. His pleas of mercy were drowned out by the sneers and laughter of the three bullies. Can you imagine the little boys fear and desperation?

Unbeknownst to him, I took note of what was going on and purposed to do something about it. So I took my friends and followed the bullies in order to tilt the odds in favor of the boy being picked on. The unexpected arrival of my older cousin further established this boy’s defense. When it was all said and done, I sent those boys running home, and one of them with a broken nose.

Do you ever feel outnumbered, overmatched, or isolated in a desperate situation with no hope of escape? Does it feel like no one cares or is paying attention? God is. He is promising that He will be your defense, even when you don’t see it coming. He is promising to send your enemies away with a broken nose. Do you trust Him to be your defender or will you continue to fail doing it yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment