Friday, May 20, 2011

James 4:7

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."


Do you remember that annoying kid in elementary school? The one who always had soemthing to say. The one who always bothered you. Sometimes that kid was also a bully. Did you ever do anything about it or where you the kid who was a tattle-tale? Maybe you were the kid who tried to hide, even going out of your way to avoid an encounter. If you were the kid who silently endured, may I appologize on behalf of all the bullies?

On a serious note. The devil is a bully and he will always have something to say to you. Often there will be no place to hide from him. Trying to silently endure, hoping he will quit, will only yield a life of frustration and sadness. God has something else in mind for you and it reminds me of a vivid childhood memory. After my parents divorce I was forced to attend a new school that was vastly different and much larger than what I was used to. My first day a kid, three years my elder, kept thumping my ears and kicking my feet trying to trip me. As soon as I got off the school grounds I dropped my bag and squared up and said, "Let's get this over with."

While I don't advocate this kind of violence to people, it sure needs to be employed for the devil. After my fight at the new school that kid left me alone. That is exactly what God has promised us. If we will "square up" against the devil, by God's strength he will flee away. If you find the devil keeps thumping you maybe its time to consider if you have really resisted. God said there is a victory waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment