Tuesday, May 17, 2011

John 14:18

 “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.”




Jesus spoke this promise to His disciples. It is implied to all who will receive his comfort. This reminds me of the nature of humans, which is to be curious. Let’s face it. You have gone by an accident scene and starred. It is as if we can’t help ourselves. Have you ever noticed how many dozens of people quickly fill the role of curious onlooker, yet very few do anything to really comfort. Jesus promises not to be a curious onlooker who passes by, more concerned about His own agenda. He will come directly to you, not to your general vicinity.

As a child I was playing in a pool unattended. Long story short I cracked my head open on the edge of the concrete. I ran inside the house screaming wildly with blood gushing out of my skull. My cousins looked on with amazement while my mom quickly rushed to my side. Instead of berating me for all that I had done wrong, she simply began to comfort me. It began with her loving embrace followed by the pain of cleaning my wound, and ended with her keeping me awake to avoid further complications. Like a compassionate mother, Jesus is quickly drawn to your side with the sole intention of easing your discomfort. His primary motivation is to assist you, regardless of what you have done.

It is easy to be consumed with guilt over what you did wrong but dwelling on that prolongs the comfort He offers. By the same token, dwelling on what others have done to you will cause you to never experience His comfort. Will you allow Him to fix the situation? Let Him do what He wishes. Even though it may hurt, it is always best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment