Thursday, November 14, 2013

Doors, Doors, Doors Open a plenty.

Oh that we would allow the Lord to open our eyes to see them around us. As I write this I am also actively engaged in a text conversation with an unsaved person who has a parent that is a preacher. It all started with friendly conversation where I was given opportunity to demonstrate that I genuinely cared. The particular individual tends to be reticent and introverted, but God has allowed this person to develop a trust with me. As a result we are able to grow as friends and I am also able to demonstrate the Love of God.

A couple examples from this last week and a half.

At the start of the school year I felt the Lord wanted me to start a leadership training with a couple of young men at my school. So, I went to each one individually and invited them to have lunch with me each Thursday. The Lord has given me 3 young men to work with and teach biblical principles! The door was opened because I followed God's leading to go knock on the doors.

I was able to open a gym to play basketball. I sent out texts to several former students as well as some unsaved friends. During the course of the night I was able to have several conversations with many different people. Each time I was able to remind them of past truth I have taught or lived before them, or encourage them to consider the things of God. One of them actually called me and asked me to pray for them!

A close friend of mine is having difficulty with a past relationship. I was able to talk with him and assure him that I would be praying for God to fix the situation.

My daughter woke up the other day and told me that she had a dream about a former student of mine. I plan to use that as my opening when I speak to this young man. I don't have his phone number but I plan to chase it down.

Some Keys to Seeing an Open Door:
  • Listen to what people are saying. Jesus is the master problem solver. If there is someone who has problems don't be afraid to talk to them about it.
  • Engage in conversation & listen to what they are saying. What they say will show where they are.
  • Act upon what the Lord impresses you with. A spontaneous thought about someone is all you need. It is truly simple to open a conversation by saying, "I was thinking of you. How are things going?" I'm a little more bold and usually use, "The Lord put you on my heart and I want to pray for you. How would you like me to pray?"
  • Don't be afraid to knock, even if it is the "wrong" door. You won't go to hell trying to share the love of God with someone. In fact, you may see doors open that you didn't even know where a possibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment