Friday, July 30, 2010

II Timothy 1:7

“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

Fear is a natural emotion for all humans. It usually arises when your life is in danger and will cause you to do things you wouldn’t consider under normal circumstances. God knew the devil would press his children and make them think their life was in danger. His promise to you is, I have given you a spirit of power. Jesus calmed his disciples by saying, “Be not afraid. It is I.” God promises you the same in all that you face. His voice sweetly calls, “Fear not, for I am with you.”

Isn’t it comforting to know that you can retain your sanity in any circumstance? As a young child and teenager I had a problem with anger. I could be pushed to a certain point until I would snap. I would find myself in fits of uncontrolled rage. The thought of growing up with this caused me to be anxious. I was also afraid that I would not be able to control it. It is funny, but I could identify with the Incredible Hulk. The guilt he felt after he had created destruction was similar to how I felt when I finally came out of a fit of rage.

As a child of God I can stand on the promise of his power over feelings and emotions that once controlled me. I can have his spirit of power. Yea, even more I can have a spirit of Love. I can have love even for my enemies! I don’t have to worry about what I will face, how I will be mistreated, or how I will react. I have a calm assurance, a blessed assurance, that God’s power will sustain me.

Every person faces difficulties. How have you faced them? Did you have fear? Did you lack power? Have you felt like you lost your mind or ability to make rational decisions? There is a great source of power God has promised for you.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say I appreciate you posting these, how should I say it? "devotion" readings, I really enjoy reading them!

    Also I was wondering if you would want to come to our Tent Meeting next week??? We'd so love to have you and your family here!!!~Kaylene Zacharias

    ReplyDelete