Thursday, August 1, 2013

Working on the Great Commission

In an effort to continue what we began at Monark, I will be using this blog to share some things the Lord has shown me over the years. The main thrust is to give each reader some practical tools to assist them in fulfilling the great commission of reaching the lost souls that flounder around us every day.

As mentioned before, we must first be a partaker of salvation ourselves otherwise your testimony has no value. The next important key is prayer.
 
 This can not be over-stated. This is where most of soul winning work is accomplished.  It is best to begin praying for yourself. Here are a few things to ask for:
1) A divine revelation of love
2) Compassion for the lost
3) A divine revelation of hell
4) Ability to recognize God's voice/leadings
5) Boldness
6) Courage
7) Patience

I think this is a good place to start with your prayer life.  When you start praying for yourself and allow God to start changing you into His image you will start to learn a key to winning souls. It isn't about molding "the lost" into your image or even thinking like you. It is about getting them connected to Jesus Christ. If you can introduce them to the real essence of Jesus you have done your job.

There is so much to talk about but I'm trying to keep each post short. My request is that you begin praying and watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvES4_MJ5Y&feature=fvsr

I would like to discuss your reactions to the video. Here are a few thoughts to consider:
What was you reaction?
What statement impacted you the most?
What did you agree or disagree with?



5 comments:

  1. Brother Donny,
    First of all i would like to say that i really like your website. It is very encouraging to me. The video you asked us to watch- i was overwhelmed with the sense that this man, even though he didn't believe in God and he still didn't partake of Christianity after this man gave him the Bible, was still aware of the simple goodness of Believers. I think that the statement " How much can you hate a person to not tell them that there is a Heaven and a hell, because maybe it will be socially awkward?" challenged me.It really is true, and i don't really know if i have ever thought of it that way. I guess sometimes the devil would like to get us to keep our mouths shut, and someone like this man, Penn, would maybe miss out on coming to their senses and realizing the truth. I defintely agree with that man that gave him a Bible. I have great respect for him and also that he was not shoving the Word of God in his face. He was genuinely concerned for Penn. I am really challenged to work more for the Lord. I am very thankful for the time that you take to post these blogs. May God bless you:)
    Karissa Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Karissa. I'm glad you enjoy the site. Regarding the video, I agree with you completely about what stood out. The statement about hating some one = not telling them has been a particular challenge to me since I first stumbled across this video. The other thing that impacted me was the fact that a hardened atheist was deeply touched even bordering tears. That has always spoke volumes to me about the power of the gospel as well as the need for patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro. Donny,
    When I watched this video clip it gave me a challenge with that question, "How much do we have to hate someone before we share the Gospel with them?" (paraphrased) It woke me up in a way because it kind of re-phrases the question, "Why is it so hard to share Christ with others?" I have often asked myself this question, but the way he put it brought it into a different light. When I was asking myself that question, I was really asking, "How much do I love Christ? How much do I love those who haven't found Him yet?" I hope that made sense...
    MaKayla Booher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with Penn when he made the statement about how much could you hate someone to not tell them hey you could burn for eternity or you could enjoy everlasting life. Also The man who gave Penn the Bible is a perfect example of these two verses: John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Luke 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you. I really hope that this man comes to see that God really does exist. I will be praying for Penn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaKayla,Donald
    The summary of the action is indeed hate when we don't have enough compassion to share the gospel. The root of this inactivity is almost always fear. This is what incapacitates us, rendering us ineffective at best.

    ReplyDelete