Saturday, August 31, 2013

Col 4:1-6

I want to use this post to highlight some things God has shown me as it pertains to sharing the gospel, which is, the main thrust of this prayer. Too often we think sharing the gospel/witnessing is simply having the courage to speak to others. I have learned to pray long before that time arrives. We are encouraged to pray:
1) That God would create the opportunity
2) That we could explain the mystery of the gospel
3) That we could speak with His authority rather than my own
4) That we would enact the wisdom we have gained
5) That we would use our time prudently (not waste it).
6) That we speak in a way that treats others better than they deserve
7) That we speak in a way that enhances someone's life (salt)
8) That we may have knowledge to answer the questions of life

1) Oh how important it is that God creates the opportunity. (I kings 3:7-9, Psalms 127:1, John 6:44) It is possible for us to create our own "opportunity." This is what leads us to the place of doubt, being timid even scared, and sometimes frustrated thinking, "I am not meant for this." There is a courage that come from knowing that God created the opportunity.

2) Understand the gospel is a mystery. As a believer and follower of Christ you understand the mystery, but the lost do not. Have you ever looked at white puffy clouds and saw a representation of something else, like a lion, elephant, or dog? Then you tell a person to look at the clouds and see what you see, only to hear and watch them not see it. This is an analogy of what it means to understand the mystery. You have to see it first before you can "show"it to someone else. Note: It isn't enough just to see it. We are asking God to help us to explain it. That means pointing out the details so those who don't see it can have their eyes opened.

I will continue with the other 6 during this week. Each of these could be a sermon in their own right so I want give time and space for each. I welcome your comments, questions, or experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Bro. Donny,
    As i glanced over your post I read #6 step and it really touched me. You had said "that we speak in a way that treats others better than what they deserve," and I feel like God has been talking to me about this very thing. I have been in a situation where I have been treated unfairly and my flesh constantly wanted to bite back and say something mean. I didn't and I don't regret it. I can only thank God for giving me grace because I didn't do it on my own and I still need to improve in this area. I want to thank you, though, for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the Lord! You will probably never know the full impact of your act of humility.

    ReplyDelete