Thursday, September 26, 2013

Points 5 & 6

5) That we would use our time prudently (not waste it).


Time. The greatest commodity we are granted, yet so often taken for granted. Even as I write this I am reminded of how quick it can end when I consider what happened with Devon on Tuesday. You only have a short period of time here and then it is over. The works we perform is what will be judged in the end. This prayer is supposed to turn our minds towards "being about" our "father's business." This is why I am encouraging you to seek God in prayer about how you can use your time to work for Him. 
This also includes knowing who we talk to and for what amount of time. The devil will gladly take your time with "good" things. I can recall several times I cast pearls before swine who really had no regard for what I was sharing. It is possible to "spin your wheels" discussing or debating religious ideas. This usually manifests itself in a doctrine "tit for tat" where people argue back in forth one scripture for another.
     A good way to assess how you spend your time with someone is to seriously think about the results as well as how you feel afterwards.If you feel angry, upset, proud, and hopeless for the other person(s) chances are you have been wasting your time. Doing God's work is tiring but fulfilling, satisfying, and fills us with hope. I'm not saying you won't experience doubts about your effectiveness, but I tell you to patiently look at the results. Are the people you sharing with moving toward or away from God? It's truly that simple. Either they are moving closer to God or further away. Patiently endure.Be diligent in your efforts for God. It will bring fruit in due season.

6) That we speak in a way that treats others better than they deserve

This deals with how we communicate. It is too easy to talk "down" at people because they don't see it like we do. It is best to follow the path that Jesus set before us. He was firm with those that openly rejected him, yet so loving and encouraging to those who were truly seeking to know God. Think about Zacheus, and others who were clearly living in error yet had a desire to see Jesus. Jesus' speech caused them to feel something deep within. For the first time in his life, Zacheus felt respected and that brought hope.
    We live in a time period where people are not genuinely respectful of one another. There is a general selfish tone to our modern world. Even more, many people settle into a routine based on who they think they are. The result is what governs their actions, thoughts, even their concept of who they are. All of this is shaped by a defeated god, called satan. Is it no wonder they act, talk, and think they way they do. They live in a defeated world view. We only compound their dilemma when we talk down to them, or speak in an offensive tone. Let us not hinder the power of the gospel by tainting it with poor speech. May we learn to speak hope and blessings into the lives of others.

Here are a few examples of some things I have shared with people:
"You are too smart to believe in evolution."
"God made you more special than some animal."
"I know you don't think you can...... but I can see where God has blessed you with......."


4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is one of my goals, to speak others in a way that intrigues them and causes them to want to know more. Rather than a way that is demeaning or offensive causing them to disregard what i say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great goal to have, for it is love in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Point six for me is another one I struggle with. I have been in so many situations where someone miss treated me or another person and I treated them the way I and everyone else thought they should have but I know for sure that it wasn't that way God wanted me to treat them ( thankfully I went back and said sorry and was forgiven).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humility is an act of love as well ;)

    ReplyDelete