Friday, December 3, 2010

I John 5:18

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

I recall a time as a kid when one of my cousins and I were playing around. We would often tease each other and one particular day he took it to far. Fortunately for him, I was not as fast of a runner and he beat me into the house where he hung out by his mom. Like a dog circling a treed cat, I would circle looking for an opportunity to hit him. Standing behind her back, He would silently taunt me with ridiculing antics. He was living proof of what M.C. Hammer sang; “Can’t Touch This.”


Here, God grants us understanding of a conditional promise concerning our safety. The devil has great power, but only as God permits. God is telling us we can be safe if we’ll just have enough sense to do what my cousin did. Keep yourself in the presence of the one who has more authority than the one trying to harm you and you can sing “Can’t Touch This.”

Your safety is already guaranteed, but it hinges on two important aspects. First you must be born of God (saved). Secondly, you must keep yourself. Specifically, keep yourself in God’s will. This requires obedience, but the reward is the promise of unfailing protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment