Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I John 5:18

 “We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

We have already looked at the protection promise in this verse, now we want to look at the power promise in this verse. Like the protection, the power promise is conditional. The condition you must meet is to be born again. That means you have asked God to forgive your sins, confessed His divinity and ownership, and repented of your old ways. God is telling you that He will grant power to you so that you will not have to sin again.


I grew up around a bunch of people who used vile and dirty language. Naturally, I began to curse as they did, but never in front of my parents. I really didn’t like the taste of soap, getting beat with a switch, or causing my parents to think less of me as a person. As a grew into adulthood it became a habit that ruled me. Over a 5-month period of time I tried repeatedly to stop, only to realize 5 days was the best I could muster before being overpowered.

I honestly felt helpless in my life. In simplistic faith I told God, “If you will help me quit cussing I’ll think about getting saved.” God answered my prayer and took the habit away and I haven’t cussed since 1997! God did such a work that I don’t even think of those filthy words anymore. This is the type of power God promises to those who are born again. Do you have that power working in your life? If not, God is telling you it is available if you will allow it.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the same circumstance I was in. I couldn't get over a lost friendship and the feeling of betrayal that came with it. So much anger...

    I remember walking out of the weight room of Marshall one day during baseball season (you can imagine the bright sun and clear blue sky). The sight of the heavens above overwhelmed me the feeling of hope. I did as you did and simple asked "Help me stop thinking about this person and the despair of my situation, and I'll think about getting saved"

    Since, not only have I've never looked back on that situation, but I've founded it in my heart to forgive. To think we have access to such power, is sometime unfathomable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You spelled John wrong by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huyen, Thanks for the heads up on John not Jonh.
    I couldn't agree with you more about how unsearchable the power of God is. It truly is gr8 2 know He is able.

    ReplyDelete