Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Peter 5:6

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:”


I am amazed at how many promises from God are conditional. It would do us well to take note. Much of the “more abundant life” He wishes to give us hinges on our willingness to obey. Here God promises to exalt you in due time. Again we can see that God has precise timing and He also has a time planned for you to be lifted up.


The key to being exalted is simply humility to God and His will for your life. Pay special attention that it isn’t just humility, but humility under God and His power. When we do this we are assured God will take care of us, even when it seems as though others have an advantage over us.


This promise reminds me of the contrast within my own life. Shortly after I got saved I began intense study of the Bible. God was faithful to teach me, even though I tried to wrestle others (believer or not). I had become lifted up in what I knew. The result was many hours of discourse, which yielded no peaceable fruits of righteousness. Unfortunately, several people no longer cared to engage in spiritual conversation and needless to say their opinions of me did not allow me an exalted place in their minds or hearts.

After a period of time, much longer than I care to admit, God got through to me. I began to learn how to humble myself under His power. The result has been that God has given me opportunity to share His wonderful truth. Today people have great confidence in my walk with God and seek me for Godly counsel. This “exalted” position is God’s doing, not my own. What people are drawn to, what is exalted, is the very character of God that is reflected in my life. This only happens as I humble myself to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment