Saturday, December 11, 2010

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”


Do you remember growing up vowing you would never be like your parents? Do you remember the first time you realized you did it anyway? I often catch myself doing things just like my parents taught me; most of the time out of learned instinct. It is due to a God ordained principle.

This promise is a comfort to Godly parents who teach their children what is right. While it doesn’t guarantee they will stay saved it does promise they will not forget. What parents teach their children will affect the way they think when they are older. That is why the Jesuits used to say, “Give us a child until he is seven and we will return unto you a man.”

This promise is also meant as a comfort to us who are saved. If we are allowing God to be our Father then as we grow we shall be more like Him. That means as I mature as a Christian I have an assurance I can be like God and not have to depart from what He has instilled in me. Don’t forget that maturation within Christianity doesn’t depend on your age or amount of time you have been saved. It is based on experience with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment