Friday, December 31, 2010

Matthew 28:20

"Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."

     This verse is the tail end of what is commonly known as the Great Commission, where Jesus instructed His disciples to spread the gospel. I just love the fact that Jesus was not short-sighted. Even when giving important instructions He was mindful of human weakness and spoke of the promised provisions He made.
    Have you ever had a really big job to do and felt like there was no way you could get it done? Have you ever felt intense guilt because of it? Imagine how much more severe those feelings are when the work you have to do has eternal consequence. Jesus knows how the devil plans to work on your emotions.
    As a child I had many opportunities to learn how to work. I often remember that my work was always easier, even enjoyable, when I had someone to help me. That is exactly what Jesus promised here. Even better is the promise that He isn't leaving either. He promises, "I am with you alway."   
    This promise also deals with the feelings a believer experiences when doing the Lord's work and sharing the gospel. The devil would have you to think it is all up to you and your skill set. Read the gospels, search it diligently, and see if Jesus ever just tagged along with His disciples waiting for them to make decisions. The reality is He didn't. As they did His work, Jesus was beside them to provide wisdom and ability to do it right. When you do His work, He not only promised to be with you, but He is also prommising to give you wisdom and power so that it is done right.
  

2 comments:

  1. Just the promise I needed right now! I'm looking forward to accompanying Nicole and the Smith's to the Kenyan orphanage in February & this whole student teaching PLUS mission trip is way out of my ball park... I'm so thankful for God's reassurance that He will be with me each step of the way! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a blessing. We are praying God's blessings on this upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete