Friday, April 16, 2010

Micah 7:18

"Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy"

Inside this verse is a small nugget of promise that can be easily overlooked. I want to take time to point out the fact that God bestows mercy on you and I. What is more important is the fact that he delights in it! That means God enjoys doing this. Each time I think of this verse it reminds me of my childhood growing up.

Christmas is a time of traditions, family, friends, and food. One memory that stands out in my mind is my Grandma “Willie.” While she did not have much extra money to spend she made it her aim to sacrifice all year so that she had opportunity to buy each of her children and grand children a gift. Seems like any normal grandma right? She was normal in that regard and even bought some really crazy gifts like only grandmas can do; like the olive green turtle-neck shirt she bought me for those cold phoenix winters where the average daily temperature was about 70 degrees. It was so ugly my dad refused to let me wear it. (Thanks Dad).

What made my grandma a little unlike most grandmas was the manner in which she presented the gift. She made sure you opened the gift in front of her. Year after year I have memories of her sitting on the edge of the couch riddled with excitement like a playful puppy, barely able to contain her joy as you opened the gift she had sacrificed so much for. A gift that was as unique as the person who opened it. This gift was a clear representation of her love for you and because of that she sat on the edge of the couch completely enjoying the moment.
Like my grandma, God sits in heaven on the edge of his throne, riddled with excitement, as he presents to you his mercy. Don’t let the devil tell you it is any other way. Simply put, God enjoys bestowing mercy on his creation.

3 comments:

  1. Ditto, Miss Edee. I've heard the verse before, and understood that God loves to bestow His mercy to us; however, it kind of just stopped at my head, at the acknowledgement of it. Your illustration is wonderful! I had a "secret-someone" at work this past Christmas, and she took home the gift without opening it. I was so sad (not angry), because I wanted to see her reaction, because I thought of what she likes and put thought into the gift...just as your grandmom, just like God (obviously, His scale is so much larger). I never equated the excitement I feel when I help others or when I am able to provide somekind of enjoyment or gift to what God must feel when He blesses us or shows us His mercy and grace.

    I needed that illustration. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are appreciated. I am grateful the Lord used it to bless you. I've always been encouraged when the Lord gave me that "vision" of Himself on the throne.

    ReplyDelete