Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I John 4:19

“We love him, because he first loved us.”

I can’t recall when it first started, but my mom and I started a game of how to express our love for each other. It starts with, “I love you.” Invariably one of us will respond with, “I love you more.” Then it really starts, “I loved you first. I love you longer. I love you…” Imagine God starring at you saying, “I loved you first.” Then consider the fact that he has been in existence before time began.

A simple understanding of the gospel story is more than enough evidence of God’s love. No matter how much you try to let him know you love him, he loved you first. He even loved you when you did not love him in return. The thought in this promise reminds me of the chorus of a song. “Such love can not be fathomed, tis like the boundless sea.” God has already made the first move. All you need to do is respond to his promise of love.

2 comments:

  1. I think if God said that to me (which He probably does everyday, just by letting me breathe) I'd just be speechless. There'd be no comeback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Big Smile) Yeah, what more can you say? I guess that is why He left for us to show it to others. (Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.)

    ReplyDelete