Thursday, June 24, 2010

Psalms 23:4

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

As a little kid, did you ever walk outside in the dark, alone? I used to do this a lot as a kid. How well I remember the trees turning into creatures determined to gobble me up. Sometimes I would imagine dangerous people hiding, waiting for an opportunity, to “get me.” These are just a few of the “evils” my mind was able to imagine; all of which disturbed my state of mind. Strangely enough, I never felt scared when I walked these dark paths with my dad.


When a person is facing death there is a similar experience. There is something about the unknown that excites our worst imaginations. Did you know God understands? That is why He has promised you, in advance, that you will be able to walk that lonesome path without fear. Notice that He didn’t promise to remove death, its darkness, and all its unknowns, but He has promised that he would be with you. Just as my father walked dark paths with me as a kid, so too will God himself walk that path with you; providing you safety and security.

This whole promise hinges on one important condition. To whom do you belong? Shepherds used a rod/staff to count their sheep as they passed through the narrow door into the pen. Only sheep owned by the shepherd passed under his rod. These are the people who have asked Jesus to forgive their sins. These are the people God has promised to walk beside, even in the valley of death. Are you in the place where you can claim this promise?

No comments:

Post a Comment