Tuesday, August 31, 2010

John 14:2

"In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.”


There is a great deal of pain as well as fear when some one we love leaves; especially when it is permanent. Jesus was preparing His followers for His departure from earth. Christ’s disciples had forsaken their careers, friendships, and all that was familiar, trusting Christ with their entire life. Considering this, it is easy to understand their fear when considering Jesus was leaving.
There are a couple promises in here but I want to focus on the promise of Jesus to “prepare” a place just for you. This idea reminds me of my cousin Sandy. Several years ago she bought elaborate sewing equipment so she could better express her love to friends and family. I especially remember the quilt she made for her dad. It contained several squares, one for each child and grandchild. Each square had the person’s name and an item that symbolized a dominant aspect of their character.

A person looking at the quality of the quilt would be impressed with its craftsmanship, but those who knew the family are amazed by its intricate detail. The essence of each person was not only precisely symbolized by her choice of object, but even the colors perfectly reflected the individual! It was obvious Sandy knew each person in great detail, thus her ability to prepare exactly the right square.

In like manner, Jesus is saying I know just what to make for you. When you come into eternity to be with me I want you to know that I have been working on the perfect place for you. The only real question left is; “Are you living in such a way that you will be able to live in your mansion?”

No comments:

Post a Comment