Tuesday, August 24, 2010

John 8:11

“ neither do I condemn thee; go and sin no more.”

How well I remember the times in my childhood when I got caught doing foolish things. Too often I would simply act without thinking only to regret it later. My parents were wise because they would make me go to my room and think about what I had done. It was during this time, guilt and frustration with myself began its work to bring me to a place of repentance.

As I got older I felt an overwhelming urge to explain why I had done something bad. It was if I was trying to appease a deep-seated emotion if I could somehow make sense out of my mistake. I imagine you are not much different than I am, so we are tempted to explain or justify our mistakes to God. Don’t bother. He is not interested in your excuse. He is interested in repentance, which is an expression of Love.

In the story preceding this verse we see a guilty woman forced to think about her shameful act. Like this woman, we all have been caught at one time or another. However, like this woman we too can claim Jesus’ promise of “neither do I condemn thee.” Jesus, knowing the contrition of her heart, simply said, “I forgive you.” Do you realize it is that easy?

The other half of the promise is that He will equip you to do better. When he said “go and sin no more” it implies that she now had the ability to perform that which He commanded. When you are forgiven you are freed to do better. Is there anything in your life that you know isn’t right with God? Do you wish you could do better? God is promising to forgive and empower you.

2 comments:

  1. Last week or this past week (can't remember), I found myself saying to God that I cannot change without His help and grace, because He is the one that can give me the ability and follow-through on change. I think we forget just how much power God has and that He is standing there ready to infuse us with it.

    Your posts have been great! Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think of the email that went around about the little girl who wouldn't let go of the fake pearl necklace. Each time dad asked for it she offered something else, until one day she let it go to dad. He then gave her a real one, which he had planned to do all along. The girl's hesitation only postponed her blessing.
    I believe the Lord always has something better for us when He asks us to let go of something.

    ReplyDelete