Friday, October 29, 2010

Leviticus 27:28

Notwithstanding no devoted thing, that a man shall devote unto the Lord of all that he hath, both of man and beast, and of the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed: every devoted thing is most holy unto the Lord.”


This whole chapter is full of laws concerning property that is used as collateral or is donated to God’s service. In this particular verse God is trying to explain His heart toward you and the gifts you give. The first part of this promise is the idea that you have something to offer God. He has given you the ability and opportunity. The question is do you? It can be something as simple as time. You can give God your time by using it to pray or read your bible.

I have to admit that I have been guilty of re-gifting an item. When my wife and I got married, it seemed as though all our friends were like-minded and decided to by us picture frames. I wasn’t upset about it, but a person realistically can only use a limited amount of picture frames.

The “not as pretty” frames were put in boxes and would have been forgotten had I not been financially challenged. In my frugality, I used a few of those frames as wedding and birthday presents for other folks. I know it is culturally taboo, but I was broke and needed something. The other half of the truth was the frames weren’t as sentimental or valuable to me.

In the latter part of this promise, God is telling you, “I am not a re-gifter! If you give me something it will be considered a highly regarded present that I will never give away.” God wants you to rest assured that no matter how ugly, insignificant, or grand you may think it is, all your offerings devoted (given) to Him are sacred (Holy).

No comments:

Post a Comment