Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Luke 15:31

"And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine."

     This particular promise has 3 aspects to it. I want to begin with the least obvious first. Do you remember growing up and the nickname(s) you were given? I am not talking about the cruel ones slapped on you by kids at school, not even the funny ones given by cousins. I am talking about the one given by those who truly loved you. It was a name of endearment. Things like princess, bobo, bubba, and sissy. Everyone in the family knew who was assigned to that name, hence it was indicative of their status.


Did you know that God has a nickname for you? In this parable we see the boy is labeled with the title of “Son.” That one word indicates not only status, but, belonging. With it comes many privileges as well as security. Most importantly, all the host of Heaven knows who is assigned that name. It is why when asked, “How are you?” I reply, “Better than most.” With God, you are special. All blood washed people are considered the sons and daughters of God, hence their special place of belonging.

Equally beautiful is the concept of being equal. God does not use titles that allow us to exalt ourselves above other sons or daughters. God doesn’t play favorites. That is why I always follow up my “How are you?” response with, “Just as good as the rest!” In this parable He subtly reminds you that you can have a part in His family that will put you on equal status with all other believers. That means you are just as important as a preacher, Sunday school teacher, missionary, or any other position you might try to exalt above yourself. It can best be summarized as, “There is no big I and little you.” in His family.

No comments:

Post a Comment