Saturday, April 23, 2011

Proverbs 15:1

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."

     I have to admit I have proven both of these promises true over and over. I have been in situations where I get caught up in the moment and say something that is the equivalent to pouring gas on a fire. In my early days as a Christian, I was zealous and rather foolish. Several times I would slap people around with scripture only to find the got angry. I thought they were ashamed of God's word, until the Lord "slapped" me by showing me what I was really doing. Good words, even great words, can be spoken in a manner that is grievous. Lord help us to guard our own mouth.
   It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to deescalate a situation by simply saying I'm sorry. Just the other day I almost ran a truck off the road because he was in my blindspot. He was driving way too fast and crossing solid lines to get in another lane to pass me, and he even honked like an angry man. I was tempted to honk back, as if to express that I was in the right and he should be more cautious when driving. Technically speaking and by the world's reasoning I could stand my ground, but instead I simply moved back into my lane, gave a sheepish smile, along with a friendly wave as if to say "My bad." Immediately, his demeanor softened and he waved back as if to say, "That's ok."
   We could go into the psychology of how and why it works, but who cares. The promise to you and I is that it will work. God is granting us an awesome power! We have the ability to "positively" manipulate others. Not for our own pleasure, but for His glory. When we humble ourselves, leaving God to play the role of our defense, then other people are encouraged to act more Godly. Other people's bad thoughts and evil intentions toward you are annihilated by this promise. Do you trust God enough to answer softly, even when you are right?

No comments:

Post a Comment